We’re grounded in the business side of transactions. We act as problem solvers and facilitators to closing the deal, without sacrificing the necessary attention to detail involved in sophisticated transactions.
The real estate attorneys at HaasNajarian possess not only the technical legal knowledge, experience and skills required in sophisticated commercial real estate transactions, but also the practical understanding of our clients’ business needs. This combination enables us to identify the key legal and business issues, to provide pragmatic and, when necessary, innovative solutions, and to be efficient and cost-effective. In addition, because our lawyers are grounded in the business side of transactions, we act as problem- solvers and facilitators to closing the deal, not as obstacles. We represent local and national companies, institutions and high net worth individuals in all aspects of commercial real estate. We have extensive experience with all real estate product types, including hospitality, office, retail-commercial, industrial and multi-family. Principal areas of our practice include:
- Acquisition and Development. We are experienced in all phases of the acquisition and development process on behalf of sellers and buyers, from negotiation of letters of intent and purchase and sale agreements through due diligence, title review and overseeing the closing process. Many of our clients ask us to devise structures for their transactions and to locate and coordinate other professionals.
- Real Estate Finance and Equity Investments. We regularly advise borrowers in connection with all types of real estate financings, including construction and permanent loans, CMBS loans, multi-state financings, leasehold financings, sale/leaseback transactions, mezzanine loans, short term variable rate financings, participating mortgages, and subordinate financings. We have handled a number of transactions where the existing loan required defeasance.
- Commercial Leasing. Our commercial leasing clients include landlords and tenants in transactions involving office buildings, shopping centers and other commercial projects in multiple and diverse markets. We also represent landlords and tenants in lease disputes. Our experience in litigating landlord and tenant disputes enables us to draft leases to minimize the potential of disputes.
- Hospitality Industry. We have an extensive background in the representation of clients active in the hospitality industry. We represent owners and developers in connection with hotel acquisitions and dispositions, construction, operations, development, bankruptcies and workouts, and alcoholic beverage licensing. On behalf of hotel owners, we have negotiated management and franchise agreements with most of the major hotel brands, including Marriott, Intercontinental, Starwood, Hilton, Hyatt and Cendant. We are also experienced in all aspects of hotel finance and are familiar with the accounting issues unique to hotels.
- Construction. HaasNajarian represents owners, contractors and subcontractors in a variety of construction law matters. We are well versed in the use and modification of the AIA form construction documents. The firm is a member of the AGC Legal Advisory Committee and chaired the subcommittee that drafted the first long form of subcontract now used throughout the industry. Our lawyers are regular speakers at industry lectures and seminars. The services we provide our construction clients include:
- General contract and subcontract preparation
- General contract disputes and claims
- Payment and performance bond claims
- Mechanics lien and stop notice matters
- Labor and employment
- Construction project workouts